Rowers from across the country converged on sunny Burnaby Lake this past week for the 2019 RCA National Rowing Championships and Canada Cup regattas, four days of competition hosted by Rowing BC and featuring Canada’s most talented rowers. This regatta crowns National Champions in the singles and pairs from September 26 to 28, and quads and eights were raced at the Canada Cup on September 29.
The small boat racing format – singles and pairs – gives a true assessment of the fastest rowers in the country. For many athletes, this regatta serves as a development opportunity on their path to represent Canada on the world stage.
Team Nova Scotia sent nine athletes to the 2019 RCA National Rowing Championships from clubs across the province to test themselves against National Team members, World Champions and Olympic Medallists.
Claire Ellison won the gold medal in the Junior Women’s Single and at the Awards Banquet later in the evening received the Bobby Pearce Award from Rowing Canada for Female Junior Athlete of the Year. This tops off an impressive year of rowing for Claire where she was selected to the Junior National Team Junior Women’s Quad which placed fourth at the World Rowing Junior Championships in Tokyo.
Andrew Todd impressively earned the gold medal in the PR3 Men’s Single event. Andrew is repeating as the National Champion in the PR3 Men’s Single and has accumulated a number of World Rowing medals this past season.
In addition to the two gold medals, Hannah Meeson captured the silver medal in U23 Lightweight Women’s Single. Hannah is a former member of the 2017 Canada Games Rowing Team and is currently rowing at the University of Victoria. Cody Bailey and his partner MacKenzie Copp (ON) captured the silver medal in the Men’s Pair. Cody is an alumni of Row Nova Scotia currently training out of the National Training Centre in B.C.
Other results from Team NS rowers included:
- Jenna Pelham finished 5th in Final C of the Women’s Single placing her 12th in the Women’s Single event.
- Jana Peachey finished 5th in Final G of the Women’s Single placing her 12th in the Junior Women’s Single event.
- Kayla Bugeya-Miller finished 1st in Final B of the Lightweight Women’s Single placing her 6th in the Lightweight Women’s Single event.
- Steven Randall finished 5th in Final I of the Men’s Single placing him X in the U23 Men’s Single event.
- Emerson Crick finished 2nd in Final E of the Men’s Single placing him 5th in Junior Men’s Single event.
You can watch the full A, B, C, D finals – Click Here